Job Title: Youth Care Specialist II (YCS II) Lead 3rd Shift
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Assist in overseeing that the Residential Unit is running smoothly and in accordance with policies, procedures and standards. Assist in insuring that staff work assignments are completed timely. Supervise and monitor residence male and female youth.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The most important knowledge, skills, and abilities are listed for Residential Youth Care Specialist II.
- Knowledge of providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support or other personal care to clients and families.
- Knowledge of the intake process and procedures
- Knowledge of principles and methods for medical instruction for individual purposes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Actively looking for ways to help at risk youth.
- The ability to give full attention to what people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and written
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Occupation specific tasks and the most important generalized work activities are listed for Youth Care Specialist II:
- Assist Shift Supervisor in the operation of the unit.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and punctuality of no more than three (3) unscheduled occurrences within a 90 day period.
- Ensure that all required training classes and training hours are completed in accordance with YCC, DJJ and DCF standards.
- Ensure work performance meets quality and quantity standards as outlined in the job description.
- Must complete at least six (6) file reviews per performance review cycle.
- Emergency Drills – Must complete at least six (6) drills per cycle – to include First Aid Drill, Fire Drill, Alternative Drill to ensure compliance with emergency drills.
- Must complete weekly health and safety inspections – 6 per year/1 per cycle.
- Must complete intake and release paperwork – at least two (2) per evaluation year.
- Must conduct at least six client groups per review cycle.
- Must attend at least 10 out of 12 Residential Staff Meetings during the review year.
- Monitor and ensure that Medication, Medical and Mental Health processes are followed with minimal errors.
- Ensure that Relief Staff Policy and procedures are followed and coordinated with Residential Manager for additional staff due to operational needs (Coverage needed due to vacations, sick leave, call outs, or other situations which will result in shortage on shift.).
- Monitor and ensure all documentation, reports, logs, NETMIS, JJIS and Census collection of data are thoroughly completed and meet QA standards and agency policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED and one to two years related experience and/or training, with some supervisory experience. Prefer experience working in a residential shelter for at risk youth. A valid driver’s license is required.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
Basic and/or advanced computational skills may be necessary.
This is a position which requires walking, interacting, monitoring and engaging youth in various positive activities and diffusing challenging situations that will occur. Little to moderate lifting of less than 25 lbs. may be required.
While performing this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.