Job Title: Therapist – Community Based (Baker or Duval County)
Reports to: Lead Family Link Therapist, Director of Program Services
Department: Family Link
Provides short-term counseling with emphasis on prevention. Work with individuals, families, and groups to promote optimum mental and emotional health. May help individuals deal with issues pertaining to the family such as family dynamics, parenting, and communication; suicidal/homicidal ideations; anger management; problems with self-esteem; peer related concerns, behavioral issues, and school related issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The most important knowledge, skills, and abilities are listed for Therapists.
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological or social work research methods; and the assessment and counseling modalities of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Knowledge of principles, theories, models, methods, and procedures for counseling of physical/mental/emotional/behavioral dysfunctions in the capacity of individual, family, and group therapy.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for psycho-educational instruction for group counseling and the measurement of training effects.
- Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Knowledge of counseling ethics.
- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Occupation specific tasks and the most important generalized work activities are listed for Therapist.
- Perform needs assessment and goal plan through interview, observation, client and guardian input completely and within designated period as determined by supervisor/agency policy.
- Enter all data entry input and submit all data entry instruments to the quality improvement department completely, accurately and within the designated periods.
- Prepare, maintain and document all instruments of the client file in a timely manner, completely, according to clinical and documentation requirements set forth by supervisor/agency policy.
- Close cases and files, completing all discharge data entry and documentation requirements completely and in a timely manner set forth by supervisor/agency policy.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing client length of service through- evaluate need, establish goals with measurable objectives and provide services showing resolve of identified problems.
- Perform outreach efforts demonstrated through production of referrals and/or professional contacts for supervisor follow up.
- Opens an average of eight(eight) cases per month.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills through timely responses to emails, deadlines and requests, attention to detail in meeting task requirements.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills through display of flexibility, creativeness and ingenuity in meeting expectations and facing client and task oriented challenges.
- A positive and professional workplace manner demonstrated through excellent customer service with clients, all workplace colleagues and community.
- Responsible for completion of training objectives within established timeframes.
- Attend work related meetings as required.
- All other duties assigned.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience: Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or related area of study from an accredited college or university recognized by the Florida Department of Education and two years of related experience in social work or counseling with at-risk youth and families; licensed-eligible in the State of Florida preferred and willing to begin licensure supervision within 6 months of employment. A valid driver’s license and safe driving record is required.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
Basic and/or advanced computational skills may be necessary.
This is a sedentary position, and the incumbent will be required to sit approximately 70 per cent of the time. Little to moderate lifting of less than 25 lbs. may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.