Job Title: House of Hope Residential Specialist
Department: House of Hope
Employee Signature: Date:
Supervisor Signature: Date:
Prepared by: Human Resources Department Rev. Date: 06/2020
The Youth Crisis Center is seeking a Residential Specialist to supervise and mentor the residents of House of Hope, a nine-bed emergency shelter for homeless young adults 18-24 years of age. The Residential Specialist will provide independent living skills through demonstration, observation, and instruction to young adults in House of Hope via individual and/or in group settings. The Residential Specialist will also provide transitional care and referrals to services as necessary. The Residential Specialist will provide constant supervision to residents and complete required documentation as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of clients’ behavior and performance, personality, and interest. Learning and motivation and the assessment and treatment of behavioral issues.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing young adults with personal services. This includes needs assessment and meeting quality standards for services.
- How to evaluate information that will result in choosing the best solution in solving
- How to provide personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support or other personal care to coworkers and clients.
- Knowledge of Independent Living Skills training curriculum and resources.
- Knowledge of effective behavior management techniques for residents.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and data processing
- Knowledge of principles of agency policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Effective group management techniques.
- Culturally effective capabilities demonstrating a sensitivity and responsiveness to varying cultural characteristics.
- Essential advocacy, communication, education, resource research skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively in simple and precise terms with clients and co-workers.
- The ability to interact with persons of diverse backgrounds with tact, courtesy, and poise.
- Clearly communicate program expectations of residents.
- Ability to set appropriate limits and boundaries in order to assure the safety and protection of the residents/clients.
- Ability to be organized and meet deadlines.
- Coach residents in decision making and role-model responsible behavior.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in procedures, conditions and to interruptions which disrupt the workflow.
- Ability to maintain confidential information relevant to clients.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Occupation specific tasks and the most important generalized work activities are listed for Residential Specialist.
- Supervise and monitor the behavior of residents; recognize and report behavioral concerns.
- Assist and coordinate services (academic, medical/dental, psychiatric, career development, social, etc.) with the residents.
- Complete documentation in the residents’ files. Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the completion of documentation for admissions, incident reports, referrals, and all other required forms and logs.
- Provide independent living skills via demonstration, observation, and instruction in a group and individual setting with House of Hope residents while utilizing curriculum approved by the agency.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and punctuality of no more than three (3) unscheduled occurrences within a 90 day period.
- Ensure that all required training classes and training hours are completed in accordance with YCC standards.
- Monitor and ensure that Medical, Medication and Mental Health processes are followed with minimal errors.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma and a minimum of (2) years working with at-risk youth or young adults. Prior experience conducting independent life-skill trainings preferred. Intermediate computational skills may be necessary. A valid Florida driver’s license and safe driving record is required.
This is a position which requires walking, interacting, monitoring and engaging youth in various positive activities and diffusing challenging situations that will occur. Little to moderate lifting of less than 25 lbs. may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.