Job Title: Transitional Specialist
Reports to: Director of Programs
Department: Independent Living Program
Provide independent living skills through demonstration, observation, and instruction to youth and young adults in the transitional living program (TSV) via individual and/or in group settings. Provide academic monitoring and transitional care services for TSV residents. Maintain a caseload of no more than 20 residents. Provide referrals to services for TSV residents as needed to ensure continuity of care is provided. Document routinely in TSV resident client’s file while maintaining confidentiality, when indicated.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The most important knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) are listed for Transitional Specialist
- Knowledge of principles and concepts related to Transitional Living Programs.
- Knowledge of Independent Living Skills training curriculum and resources.
- Knowledge of effective behavior management techniques for residents.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Highly organized and the ability to multi-task.
- Effective group management techniques.
- Culturally effective capabilities demonstrating a sensitivity and responsiveness to varying cultural characteristics.
- Essential leadership, advocacy, communication, education, resource research skills.
- Ability to motivate residents and teach skills needed to become self-sufficient.
- Clearly communicate program expectations of residents.
- Ability to set appropriate limits and boundaries in order to assure the safety and protection of the residents/clients.
- Ability to be organized and meet deadlines.
- Coach residents in decision making and role-model responsible behavior.
- Utilize a strengths-based approach to care that identifies the skills and interests of the residents/clients being served.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the completion of the Casey Independent Living Assessment and/or PAYA Assessment with the residents. Tabulate scores in order to determine resident strengths and needs and promote strategy development with assistance from community partners.
- With collaboration from community partners and the resident, assist in the development of the resident’s individualized and measurable Service Plan within 30 days of admission and review the plan every 30 days.
- Responsible for ensuring TSV residents progress through the appropriate level of the program at a reasonable pace in accordance with individual service plans.
- Assist and coordinate services (academic, medical/dental, psychiatric, career development, social, etc) with the residents.
- Complete documentation in the residents’ files such as progress notes, IL assessment, and service plans. Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the completion of documentation for resident staffings, incident reports, referrals, and all other required forms and logs.
- Complete information for IL reports as required.
- Provide independent living skills via demonstration, observation, and instruction in a group and individual setting with TSV residents while utilizing curriculum approved by the agency.
- Collaborate with community partners to assist in teaching/demonstrating life skills to the residents and shelter clients. Coordinate activities for the shelter clients and TSV residents as it applies to independent living skills.
- Monitor the behavior of residents , recognize behavioral concerns, and prepare for an Safety Net meeting as necessary.
- Maintain contact with Transitional Specialists, as needed or required.
- Complete weekly inspections of the residents’ apartments. Complete all required documentation for such. Transport residents to appointments, as needed or required.
- Complete new admission paperwork as required and enter all data into required databases.
- Responsible for completion of personal training objectives within established timeframes.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work and one year of related experience or a Bachelor’s Degree in another field and a minimum of two (2) years related work experience. Experience working with clients who have been in the dependency care system preferred. Computer skills a must. Must have a valid FL Driver’s License and safe driving record.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
Basic and/or advanced computational skills may be necessary.
This is a sedentary position, and the incumbent will be required to sit approximately 70 percent of the time. Little to moderate lifting of less than 25 lbs. may be required.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.